What is SQL: SQL is a language of database, it includes database creation, deletion, fetching rows and modifying rows etc.
SQL is an ANSI (American National Standards Institute) standard but there are many different versions of the SQL language.
- Edgar F. “Ted” Codd of IBM is known as the father of relational databases. He described a relational model for databases in 1970.
- Structured Query Language appeared in year 1974.
- 1978 — IBM worked to develop Codd’s ideas and released a product named System/R.
- 1986 — IBM developed the first prototype of relational database and standardized by ANSI. The first relational database was released by Relational Software and its later becoming Oracle.
What is SQL?
It is Structured Query Language, which is a computer language for storing, manipulating and retrieving data stored in relational database.
It is the standard language for Relation Database System. All relational database management systems like MySQL, MS Access, Oracle, Sybase, Informix, postgres and SQL Server use SQL as standard database language.
Also, they are using different dialects, such as:
- MS SQL Server using T-SQL,
- Oracle using PL/SQL,
- MS Access version of SQL is called JET SQL (native format) etc.
- It allows users to access data in relational database management systems.
- It allows users to describe the data.
- It allows users to define the data in database and manipulate that data.
- It allows embedding within other languages using SQL modules, libraries & pre-compilers.
- Allows users to create and drop databases and tables.
- Allows users to create view, stored procedure, functions in a database.
- Allows users to set permissions on tables, procedures, and views
When you are executing an SQL command for any RDBMS, the system determines the best way to carry out your request and SQL engine figures out how to interpret the task.
There are various components included in the process. These components are Query Dispatcher, Optimization Engines, Classic Query Engine and SQL Query Engine, etc. Classic query engine handles all non-SQL queries but SQL query engine won’t handle logical files.