HTML5 is the next major revision of the HTML standard superseding HTML 4.01, XHTML 1.0, and XHTML 1.1. HTML5 is a standard for structuring and presenting content on the World Wide Web.
HTML5 introduces a number of new elements and attributes that helps in building a modern websites.
Following are important new features features of HTML5 :
- New Semantic Elements − These are like <header>, <footer>, and <section>.
- Forms 2.0 − Improvements to HTML web forms where new attributes have been introduced for <input> tag.
- Persistent Local Storage − To achieve without resorting to third-party plugins.
- WebSocket − A a next-generation bidirectional communication technology for web applications.
- Server-Sent Events − HTML5 introduces events which flow from web server to the web browsers and they are called Server-Sent Events (SSE).
- Audio & Video − You can embed audio or video on your web pages without resorting to third-party plugins.
- Geolocation − Now visitors can choose to share their physical location with your web application.
- Microdata − This lets you create your own vocabularies beyond HTML5 and extend your web pages with custom semantics.
- Drag and drop − Drag and drop the items from one location to another location on a the same webpage.