E-mail is also called as electronic mail, e-mail or email is information stored on a computer that is exchanged between two users over telecommunications. More plainly, e-mail is a message that may contain zip files, text, files, images, or any attachments sent through a network to a individual or group of individuals.
The first electronic mail was sent by Ray Tomlinson in 1971.
Lets us consider email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- The part before the @ symbol, contains user, group, or department of a company. In our above example contact is the contact department at all help services.
- Next, the @ (at sign) is used as a divider in the e-mail address; it is required for all SMTP e-mail addresses since the first message was sent by Ray Tomlinson.
- And, allhelpservices.com is the domain name to which the user belongs.
valid e-mail address
There are several rules that an e-mail address must follow to be valid:
- As mentioned earlier, an e-mail must have a username followed by an @ (at sign) which is followed by the domain name with a domain suffix.
- The username cannot be longer than 64 characters long and the domain name cannot be longer than 254 characters.
- There should be only one @ sign in an e-mail address.
Writing an e-mail
When writing an e-mail message, as you can see, several fields are required when sending an e-mail:
- The To field is where you type the e-mail address of the person who is the recipient of your message.
- The From field should contain your e-mail address.
- If you are replying to a message, the To and From fields are automatically filled out; if it’s a new message, you’ll need to enter them manually.
- The CC or Carbon Copy field allows you to send a copy of the message to another e-mail address, but is not mandatory.
- The Subject Line, although not required, should consist of a few words describing the e-mail’s contents.
- And the Message Body is the location you type your main message
Image credit: www://marketingland.com/drive-email-conversions-pull-back-campaigns-103519