What is meant by Cloud?
The term or word Cloud refers to a Network or Internet or we can say that Cloud is something, which is present at remote location. Cloud can provide services over network, i.e., on public networks or on private networks, i.e., WAN, LAN or VPN. Applications such as e-mail, web conferencing, customer relationship management (CRM), all run in cloud.
What is the definition of Cloud Computing?
“Cloud Computing refers to manipulating, configuring, and accessing the applications online. It offers online data storage, infrastructure and application”.
We do not need to install a software on our local PC and this is how the cloud computing overcomes platform dependency issues. Hence, the Cloud Computing is making our business application mobile and collaborative.
Following are the working models for cloud computing:
- Deployment Models
- Service Models
Deployment models define the type of access to the cloud, i.e., how the cloud is located? Cloud can have any of the four types of access i.e.
- PUBLIC CLOUD: The Public Cloud allows systems and services to be easily accessible to the general public. Public cloud may be less secure because of its openness, e.g., e-mail.
- PRIVATE CLOUD: The Private Cloud allows systems and services to be accessible within an organization. It offers increased security because of its private nature.
- COMMUNITY CLOUD: The Community Cloud allows systems and services to be accessible by group of organizations.
- HYBRID CLOUD: The Hybrid Cloud is mixture of public and private cloud. However, the critical activities are performed using private cloud while the non-critical activities are performed using public cloud.
Service Models are the reference models on which the Cloud Computing is based. These can be categorized into three basic service models as listed below:
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) : Infrastructure as a Service provides access to fundamental resources such as physical machines, virtual machines, virtual storage, etc.
- Platform as a Service (PaaS) : Platform as a Service provides the runtime environment for applications, development & deployment tools, etc.
- Software as a Service (SaaS): Software as a Service model allows to use software applications as a service to end users